Why the G36 might be your new best friend

Why the G36 might be your new best friend

Badger

Optical sight reticle pattern, G36
1 Point of aim at 200 meters range
2 Lead mark for firing at targets moving from left to right at a speed of approx. 8 km/h at a range of 200 meters
3 Circular reticule (Interior diameter 1.75 m man size at 400 m range)
4 Lead mark for firing at targets moving from right to left at a speed of approx. 8 km/h at a range of 200 meters
5 Horizontal line to determine whether the weapon is canted from the horizon
6 Point of aim for firing at approx. 400 meter range
7 Point of aim for firing at approx. 600 meter range
8 Point of aim for firing at approx. 800 meter range
9 Person size of 1.75 meters at range X (800m, 600m, 400m, 200m)

But... It does have a rubbery feeling to it.

What are your experiences?
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Re: Why the G36 might be your new best friend

Sgt Dorian
This post was updated on .
Well, I have to say that I'm impressed, I've always wondered what those numbers on the left side of the scope meant.

Actually, I've always liked the design of G36 (I've got an airsoft G36K in home), and I use it in ArmA because we're are using always M4-M16 (or SCARs) and I like to feel a bit more... European!

I'm impressed on how complete this scope is, but what I thought when I decided to reply this post it's that these things aren't implemented in ArmA (If you aim a guy 200m away using the scope of G36 you will see a shameful bullet drop, aim the head -> hit the chest[20-30cm]).

Anyways, this a pretty cool post, I've learnt many things with it.

PD: I've joined the server 5 minutes only to try thing that tells you the distance with the person size, and it's awesome, bye bye vector.
Train hard, play easy.

Re: Why the G36 might be your new best friend

WhiteRaven
Excellent gun. I absolutely like it now! The scope is extremely good and the weapon is very precise.
The recoil is a big strong, but firing from crouched and prone position is fine.
Never touch a burning dog!

Re: Why the G36 might be your new best friend

Badger
This post was updated on .
After today's session this is my gun and nothing else. Long range, great accuracy. Single, burst and full auto. Only thing is the noise, I'd prefer a harder crack but that's asking too much.

You were also looking quite aristocratic out there with the '36, Raven!

Do any of you have a good shooting range mission so we can test the ranges empirically? I want to update the illustration with real-arma findings.

I also love the fact that its European. It is very aristocratic
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Re: Why the G36 might be your new best friend

Badger
The sound in-game is totally wrong. I wonder how they came out with it?

Here's the instruction video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65TyTZlpPlk

Notice the music! LOL!

It's probably time to use the sound mods...
Never touch a burning dog!

Re: Why the G36 might be your new best friend

Badger
Good Morning.

I have made a non-scientific and messy early test of the g36 scope. Here are my findings:

Rangefinder:

200 meters

400 meters

600 meters

800 meters

Aimpoints:

There's a problem with the range finder beyond 200 meters and it gets worse progressively as the range increases.

This trend continues when we look at the actual hit points: we can see a huge discrepancy between the sight and the bullet drop in Arma. I would say that Bohemia never really bothered to play test before releasing the game. Ouch!

Further, I am not able to switch to the aimpoint sight. BI forums say that they should have fixed this with OA but doesn't seem to work. SO the gun is useless at night. Sigh!
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Re: Why the G36 might be your new best friend

Badger
I've opened the flood(flame) gates here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=2093412#post2093412
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Re: Why the G36 might be your new best friend

totalboffin
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Thanks Badger for the testing. I had a play around with it and found that beyond 400m it wasn't quite right.

Aimpoint works for me.. I just zoom in to the scope and then press my / key on the keypad area.

The BAD thing is the no scope crosshair (not sure what that is called) is way off? (at closer ranges, off to the right and down)

Would be nice if the scope settings could be tweaked so its more accurately simulated.

The music on the instruction video is something very special!

The JRSS sound mod does definately improve the sound of the G36.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Re: Why the G36 might be your new best friend

Sean
My favourite part was when he said "cocking handle" in his comedy accent.

As with Arma, somehow the noises are just naff, makes you wonder if they bothered to do any weapons research other than the (admittedly pretty) weapon design.

Re: Why the G36 might be your new best friend

Badger
Sean wrote
My favourite part was when he said "cocking handle" in his comedy accent.
Goes well with the butt stock?
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Re: Why the G36 might be your new best friend

Badger
We have tested this today on the ACE server and it works 100%

The range finder is spot on out to 800 meters and so is targeting. No need for no wussy sniper scopes, Jawohl
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Re: Why the G36 might be your new best friend

Pocc
Well, The G36 has been in Bohemia stuff since OFP 1.01 Red Orchestra and quickly became the 'favourite' for all sector control, CTF and deathmatch games.  It's also suitable as a sniper rifle given it's low recoli with the raised sights - particularly useful in burst in CQC.  It was always my standard loadout weapon as it was so multipurpose.

Hell I loved this gun that much, I got a full longbow version for airsofting and the Tokyo Marui has a very authentic sight, complete with all the markings - so made me feel right at home when I started Airsofting.
All plans are foolproof - that is until you find out the enemy isn't a fool!

Re: Why the G36 might be your new best friend

Badger
Brilliant! Now, the sights are working perfectly on the ace servers
and we have tested them effective at 800 meters.
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Re: Why the G36 might be your new best friend

Operior
It is awesome for its category .Not a DMR though